Do you have questions about how to use tampons? Using a tampon can provide you with the right protection, but you might have a lot of questions and mayfeel unsure about where to start. Here are nine commonly asked questions that can help you decide if tampons are the right period protection for you.
1. Am I old enough to use tampons?As soon as you start having your period, you’re old enough to use tampons, like Tampax. For your first period, try using pads to see if your flow is heavyor light. Then you can make the best choice for period protection depending on your cycle and activities.
2. Do tampons hurt?If you insert a tampon the right way, you shouldn’t feel any discomfort. Tampons are inserted into the vagina through the same opening from which menstrualfluid leaves your body. Follow the instructions given in the package of your tampons to insert it property, or check out our guide. If you can feel thetampon, it probably hasn’t been inserted far enough into the vagina. You should remove that tampon and insert another one. Typically, you should not beable to feel the tampon at all.
3. When do I need to change my tampon?A tampon should be changed every 4 to 8 hours — never wait longer than eight hours to change it.
4. What size tampons should I use?It’s best to use the lowest absorbency tampon you can — while still getting the best protection. The right absorbency tampon will also be the mostcomfortable. If your tampon becomes saturated within an hour or two, look to use a higher absorbency tampon. On the other hand, if you remove the tamponand it feels stuck or dry, try a lighter absorbency. The better you get to know your own flow, the easier it will be to know which absorbency is best foryou. For more information, check out our article here.
5. Do I need to wear a pad with my tampon?Sometimes it’s helpful to wear a pantiliner when you’re first getting used to tampons until you know how often to change them and which absorbency is bestfor you. Pantiliners offer thin protection that can be a good backup for tampon use.
6. Should I use tampons with cardboard or plastic applicators?This is totally up to you. Some women like plastic applicators because they find them easier and more comfortable to insert.
7. Can I use a tampon overnight?Yes you can! Tampons can be worn for up to eight hours during the day or night. They give you full protection, and stay in place no matter how much youflip around when you sleep. But if you typically sleep more than eight hours every night, you should use a pad instead, like Always. They even make padsspecifically for overnight use! And remember: A tampon must be removed after eight hours of use.
8. Can I use tampons for discharge?No — you should only use tampons during your period. Remember, a little discharge is normal and you can use Always pantiliners to feel fresh and dry.
9. Should I use tampons if I am involved in athletic and dance activities?For athletic activities, especially those requiring tight-fitting outfits, such as ballet, gymnastics or skiing, tampons are a good choice — since no onewill notice you are menstruating. Tampons are also the only suitable form of menstrual protection while swimming.